Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Dark Day: Part X

I let them slowly walk away as I slowly follow behind. I figure if they're smart enough to get away they may be heading for an exit out of this place. I don't even know how long I've been here. Has it been a few hours? A day? A few days? Being here really screwed up my tally. Now I have absolutely no idea what day it is. Speaking of my tally, I wonder how camp is. I don't even think its smart enough to go back at this point. Its probably overrun with those things. Looks like I'm going to have to start all over collecting supplies again. Well I have a stick and a......damn it! I lost the scalpel! Ok, I have a stick. Well, I think I'm going to call it a spear. Spear just sounds more dangerous. I have a spear. Its a start I guess. Damn, these zombies walk slow. After following these dumbasses for what seems like forever they get to a door and push it open. Where the hell am I? I look around and it seems like some sort of alley. It looks like its dusk and really extremely quiet. I know I should be used to the silence but its just kind of eerie. The two zombies continue to shuffle away side by side. I have to use this chance to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I run up behind them and with one swift swing of my spear aimed precisely at their necks I decapitate both zombies. Their heads fall to the ground and the bodies take another four steps each before falling to the ground as well. Now that that's taken care of I can figure out exactly where I am. I take a walk down the alley a bit more and into a street. I look around and I realize I'm back in the city. Oh my god, this place is destroyed. Its just so sad to see all these buildings and skyscrapers empty and deserted. Almost all the windows in every building are busted out and the streets are littered with "Do Not Cross" tape and barricades. The smell in the air is no longer that of pizza, hot dogs or even car emissions. All I smell now is almost a sterile smell, similar to what a hospital would smell like. I'm almost in tears. The city I once lived and worked in is now a shadow of its former self. I hadn't been back here since the initial infection and never intended to come back. All these memories and flashbacks hit me as I walk down the city streets that I can't even recognize anymore. Memories that I'd rather keep buried. I need to snap out of it and find a place to post up for the night. I don't trust any of these buildings at all. I may have to just find an abandoned car or something. The last thing I want to do is stay on these streets too long and be a sitting duck out here. I probably could've gone back to where I was before but I would be just as vulnerable as anywhere else and plus, I wanted out of that fucking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment